Accessing TrainingSpace web-based trainings
Before you can access a TrainingSpace.org training:
- You need to have an LDAP account (also known as the New York State Directory Services account).
- Your NYS Directory Services/LDAP User ID must be entered in the User ID field in your STARS Personnel Maintenance profile.
- You must be registered for the course through STARS
NOTE: In this document, SDC refers to your Staff Development Coordinator, Training Coordinator, supervisor or Delegated Administrator, or anyone who may have administrative rights for STARS. IT Administrator may refer to your Information Technology staff, LAN Administrator or computer/network help desk staff.
1. Confirm or get an LDAP (New York State Directory Services) Account
An LDAP (NYS Directory Services) account is separate from an HSEN (CONNECTIONS) account and is used to grant staff secure access to legacy systems such as WMS, CCRS, and Centraport, as well as TrainingSpace. Many CONNECTIONS users in local districts are granted an LDAP user account to enable them to access WMS and/or CCRS. Staff in voluntary agencies who need to access CCRS also would already have an LDAP account.
Before attempting to access TrainingSpace for the first time, you should check with your agency's IT administrator to determine if you have an LDAP account. If you have an account, your username will typically be the same as your current HSEN username, although the passwords may differ.
Remember, your HSEN and LDAP accounts are two separate accounts, even if the usernames are the same!
If you have an LDAP account
If you are unable to sign on to TrainingSpace, but you believe that you have an LDAP account, it is possible that your password is no longer current or that you may have entered your password incorrectly. Try one of the following options:
- Click the "Login" link on the TrainingSpace homepage. You can reset your LDAP password by clicking on the "I forgot my password" link, which is located directly below the login box.
- Ask your local IT Administrator to reset your LDAP password.
- Call the Customer Care Center at 800-697-1323 and ask to have your LDAP password reset.
If you do not have an LDAP account
Contact your SDC or IT Administrator to confirm that you do not already have an LDAP account. Your SDC or IT Administrator can help you get an LDAP account as needed.
OTDA Voluntary Agencies
For OTDA-related voluntary agencies, please contact your SDC to create your LDAP account. It is advisable to use the same ID as your Connections ID for your LDAP account if possible.
OCFS Staff and OCFS Voluntary Agencies
For OCFS staff, click the "Login" on the TrainingSpace homepage. Then click on the "Agency Assistance & Contact Information" link below the login box. Find the "Office of Children & Family Services" section and click the link provided.
2. Enter your User ID into STARS
TrainingSpace uses the User ID field in your STARS Personnel profile to connect your login with the TrainingSpace trainings for which you are registered.
Your SDC or IT Administrator should have access to STARS to enter your User ID in the proper field. You can also contact STARS Support for further information.
3. Register for a training through STARS
You may be registered for a training in a number of ways.
- You can find a training of interest by browsing the TrainingSpace catalog. Ask your SDC to register you for trainings.
- Your SDC may register you for trainings based on your job.
If your e-mail address is entered correctly in the STARS Personnel section, you will receive an e-mail confirmation for the training.
Trainings that begin with a "TS:" are TrainingSpace courses.
If you login to TrainingSpace successfully, but do not see your trainings listed under "My Trainings," there are three items to check before contacting TrainingSpace Help.
- The training for which you are registered has not started yet. Check the start date of the training in your training confirmation e-mail. Trainings will appear in your list on the day the training's start date.
- In STARS, the User ID field in your STARS Personnel profile is missing. Please enter (or have your SDC enter) your NYS Directory Services ID (also called LDAP account) in this field. Once this change is made, you will need to logout of TrainingSpace and log back in.
- In STARS, the User ID field is incorrect OR there is a space before the User ID. Ask your SDC to confirm that your User ID is entered correctly. Sometimes, there is a space before the User ID in the User ID field. (This may be difficult to detect on a casual glance, but TrainingSpace will not recognize the ID if there is a space present before the ID.)
You may also send an e-mail to email@example.com.