Screening for Alcohol and Substance Abuse
Screening for Alcohol and Substance Abuse is the second of two web-based courses designed to support the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Identification Training classroom program offered throughout New York State for eligibility workers. This course, which may be taken singly or together with Overview of Alcohol and Substance Abuse, provides a thorough look at the alcohol and drug abuse screening instrument and how it should be administered.
Upon successful completion of this course, the trainee should be able to:
- Understand the barriers clients face trying to achieve self-sufficiency, especially substance abuse.
- Know how to use and complete the screening form.
- Understand the importance of creating an atmosphere where clients feel comfortable enough to respond honestly to the screening questions.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills, including active listening, empathy, and effective questioning, while asking the screening questions.
- Make effective referrals for assessment.
- TA Intake Specialist
- Baseline understanding of Temporary Assistance eligibility
- Background in social services
Approximately one hour