HEAP Eligibility and Certification
This training is NOT available through STARS registration and completion will NOT be tracked in STARS. Click the button to begin the course (it will be added to your list of trainings).
The HEAP Eligibility and Certification web-based course provides training in determining Regular and Emergency Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefit decisions.
The course uses interactive examples to review how to process and verify an application for HEAP, how to determine the eligibility of an applicant, and how to calculate the value of any benefit that may be due to a household in need. The course covers policies, procedures, and best practices that help assure an efficient and accurate implementation of the HEAP program. The course has been updated for the 2012-2013 heating season.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) and associated terminology
- Differentiate between HEAP household types and the application process for each
- Explain categorical eligibility as it applies to HEAP
- Determine HEAP household composition in terms of applying versus non-applying household members
- Correctly document HEAP eligibility factors using the Budget Worksheet
- Accurately calculate gross monthly income for HEAP applicants
- Accurately determine eligibility for Regular HEAP benefits
- Accurately determine eligibility for Emergency HEAP benefits
- Local district Social Services employees in New York State who are responsible for identifying eligible HEAP applicants and awarding HEAP benefits
- Alternate Certifiers
Approximately one hour