Overview of Alcohol and Substance Abuse
Overview of Alcohol and Substance Abuse is the first of two web-based courses designed to support the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Identification Training classroom program offered throughout New York State for eligibility workers. This course, which may be taken singly or together with Screening for Alcohol and Substance Abuse, provides an overview of substance related disorders and fundamental training in the area of substance abuse and dependence.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Understand substance abuse's role as a barrier that clients may face when trying to achieve self-sufficiency.
- Understand the continuum of substance abuse and the important difference between abuse and dependence.
- Understand how the family is affected by substance abuse and dependence.
- Understand the ongoing process of recovery.
- Identify treatment options available to the substance abuser.
- TA Intake Specialist
- Background in social services
Approximately one hour